Friday, September 11, 2009

Use It Challenge Designed by me!!

Happy Friday!
I can't believe another week has rolled around!
Last week I was picked as the winner at Use It Challenges and it meant I got to design a challenge for them!
I love the way they do it at Use It as it takes challenges just a little further than other blogs.
It gives you super themes and recipes and the challengers give fantastic examples!
I hope I've done a good one for them, I certainly had fun coming up with the idea and making the projects.
My challenge is:

1. Create something Fall related. This can be a card, a scrapbook page, a piece of home decor, a recipe box, anything you like! Use Fall colors and embellishments too.
2. Add some embossing, wet or dry, and try it on something new if you can.
3. I want to see flowers, easy yes, but I want Handmade ones not ones out of a jar! They can be handcut, punched, stamped, die cut even crocheted as long as you made them yourself.
4. Try a little paper piecing. This can be as simple as to cut out your title or as elaborate as cutting a whole scene free hand. You can use a pattern, use a stamp or make it up as you go just as long as you get out the scissors :)




I made two pieces for this challenge so people could see different thing they could do with the same "recipe".
I hand cut the bird, the pumpkin and the leaves. I punched flowers and layered to make the sunflowers. I added fabric brads by The Paper Studio for the centers. I embossed the pumpkins with a Cuttlebug folder.
The dp is My Minds Eye from the Spring collection but I thought the colors looked Fallish too!
The scene was created on the large Octagon Nestie but the I matted it using my trusty ruler and exacto knife :)
I added faux stitching with a black pen.



The inside is more dp and a coordinating Octagon for the message mat.




Here is a close up of the scene.



Then I created a matching door hanger.
It started as an unfinished wooden piece from Hobby Lobby which I traced and cut dp to the pattern.
I inked all the edges and added faux stitching, which I love as you can put it where a sewing machine won't work.
I hand cut and punched all the accents, embossed and inked and then created the scenes. I added a "Family" tag that I inked to match the rest of the piece.



A final look at both together.
Of course they've been other challenges popping up while I created this and as it happens some fit with this one too!
La La Land Crafts wanted some distressing.
Treehouse Stamps had a Fall theme
Crafty Creations wanted some embossing (just like I wanted too!)
Papercutz had an ABC challenges and this project counts for A-Autumn Leaves, B-Brads and C-Circles (the brads are circles aren't they? and the center of the A is a circle! Hee Hee!)
And Lili Of The Valley had a color challenge of Green, Brown and Orange.
I'd love to see you join in the challenge I created for Use It Challenges and maybe you'll get to design the next one for them!

ETA, I've just been over to the Use It blog and it seems like it's the last challenge ever this week :( I'm so sad as I love the challenges over there. I'd love to give Rae a huge thank you for letting me host the last one and if we could lots to enter this week it would be a nice goodbye for all her hard work.
Have a great weekend.
Katie

22 comments:

Juls said...

this is so gorgeous!! Love the embossed detail!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous!! Great details, colors images, everything! Thanks for playing the Crafty Creations challenge!
smiles,Deena

pinky said...

Wow your work is incredible, how lucky am I to be on a DT with you!!! Lovely to meet you and I hope we become great friends. Hugs from Ireland.
Pinky

Rose said...

congrats on your win!! sounds like a fun challenge you made for your guest spot :) awesome card and making the wall hanging...extra points to you!! :) thanks for joining us on crafty creations.
rose - guest designer

Unknown said...

Fabulous! So creative! Love all those details! Thanks so much for playing along at La La Land Crafts!
Kim

Karen said...

Love your fall hanging decoration...that is too cute!

Claire Phillips said...

This is stunning - absolutely beautiful! Thanks for playing along at Crafty Creations! Cheers Claire x

Lisa Hjulberg said...

Simply stunning with all your punch and hand-cut art!!! I love the colors... so eye catching. Beautiful job!

Thanks for playing in our challenge at La-La Land Crafts! We hope you join us again!

Saskia said...

Thanks for joining us at Crafty Creations with this beautiful card!

Saskia :)

sophiesmama said...

Katie, thanks so much for joining us at Paper Cutz Challenge! You're a very talented lady and your entry is awesome!
Hugs,
Mary

Paul said...

So much detail and things going on. I could look at it for hours and still find new things to look at. Great project for our Distressed Challenge over at La La Land. Thanks for joining in and please call over again for more fun.
TFS
Paul

Pam Varnell said...

This is absolutely awesome. Love your project. So glad you played along with us at the Treehouse Blog. Hugs!!

Sue from Oregon said...

goodness, goodness, goodness! what a wonderful creation. It is obviously took a lot of planning for this...GREAT job! Thanks for sharing with us this week on La La Lands Weekly Wednesday Challenge! That little crow just cracks me up!

Marcea said...

Gorgeous card and fab colours
Thanks for joining us on LLLC this week
-x-

Neva said...

What an adorable fall card. thanks for playing along with the treehouse challenge.

Karin said...

So beautifull!!!
Love the colours, papers, embossing and all the great details on it.

Thanks for joining LLWWC.

xoxo karin

Sheila said...

Fantastic card, loved everything about it!! just stunning!!.
Thanks for joining us this week in La-La land.
Hugs
Sheila xx

cats whiskers said...

This is a really stunning card dear, beautiful colouring and perfect layout
Hugs Jacqui

Maureen said...

These are totally awesome! Love the colors and papers and your hand cut pieces are fab!! Thanks for joining us at La-La's Weekly Wednesday Challenge!

Crystal said...

WOW What a WONDERFUL FALL Project this is fantastic......!! I love the texture on your card!! This is so fun! Thanks so much for joining us at Treehouse Stamps!

Helen Dooley said...

Wow Awesome ideas. Great work. thanks for playing on PCC.

Irina Blount said...

Awesome card!! Love all the textures and details!! Thank you so much for playing along at La-La's Weekly Wednesday Challenge!!
Hugs!!
:) Irina