Friday, June 19, 2009

Just Magnolia's 1st Monthly Challenge

As soon as I saw the challenge at Just Magnolia I knew I had to do it.
I've been altering items for about 4 years now and to add a beloved Maggie to an altered item was just what I needed to do :)
I'll warn you now that there are a lot of photos (7!) but I wanted you all to see how it turned out.



Here you can see that I chose a small wooden tray as the item to alter. It measures about 8" by 6" and is made of light weight balsar wood.
I painted it all over with Kiwi paint from Apple Barrel paints.
Then I covered the inside bottom, outside bottom and sides with dp from DCWV Nana's Nursery Baby Girl.



The Magnolia images I used were Well Dressed Tilda fromt he Holiday 2008 collection and the School Books. I colored her with my Copic's and tried to make the dress look like it had cherries to match the dp. I don't know if you can see but I used Diamond Stickles on her wings, hairbow and tights to coordinate with the glitter is the paper.



I added a sentiment from Making Memories that says "A thing of Beauty is a joy forever". I added a glittery butterfly from the $1 spot at Michaels and flowers from the bridal dept.



Here you can see that I added dp and two layers of ribbon all the way around the sides of the tray (apart from the handle ends)



A quick view of the back showing that is is painted and covered with dp too.





The final two views are just from other angles so you can see all the details.
I really loved doing this project and it was a nice break from a card.
I hope you have a happy rest of your day, I'm off for a dip in the neighbors pool to cool off from this Texas heat.
Katie

14 comments:

Jacque said...

Katie...what a wonderful job you have done on this lovely tray...Tilda is just beautiful...Hugs..Jacque

Suzy said...

So sweet and beautiful. Will you hang it on the wall? It is too pretty to use but would look so lovely in a craft room. Great work!
Suzy

cabio's craft corner said...

Katie, you've done a beautifully job on this. It is such a cute item you created!
Hugs,
Cabio

Unknown said...

Isn't it fun to fun things with dimension? Yours is nicely done.
Sharon L

Sharon Caudle said...

So cute, Katie. I just love that Tilda, and the tray turned out so pretty!
hugs
Sharon

Candy said...

Hi Katie,
Oh I love your tray. Like the colour you painted it and all the detail you added. Your Tilda is painted beautifully!
Hugs, Candy

Sue McGettigan said...

What a fun project, you did a wonderful job on it!

MarieL said...

Beautiful job Katie. Awesome details

Norma said...

Katie, wonderful project that you've done here. The tray is beautiful.

Hugs.
Norma

Mina said...

so pretty and girly, love the stunning colours...thanks for joining in with the Just Magnolia monthly challenge xxx

Barb Hardeman said...

What a fun project, Katie. You Tilda tray is so pretty and the colors are so fresh...

audrey (txpackrat) said...

What an adorable altered project! I love your blog and inspiring ideas!!!

Cami said...

Katie, this is an absolutely adorable altered tray you have made. You surely put alot of time into this and it came out so beautiful. Love the DP you used and Tilda is so cute sitting on her books...great coloring. I hope you plan to hang it in your craft room to display your talent. I wish I had the patience to work on something as lovely as this. Hugs, Cami

Rach said...

awww this is a fantastic altered project.. brilliant job. thank you for joining us in our monthly challenge. hugs rachxx